Candidate nominations will take place from 30 April to 19 May 2005 at the Candidate Nomination
Offices located at the Provincial JEMB(S) Election Offices in every provincial capital.
- Prospective candidates must go in person during this period to the Nomination Offices in order to
submit their applications
- Prospective candidates must submit their applications in the province of their candidacy.
(Nomads can submit their application in any office)
What is the candidate nomination application process?
Prior to visiting the Candidate Nomination Office in their province of candidacy, applicants must be
prepared to submit in person:
- A voter registration card. It will be possible for applicants who are not already voter registered, to
register at the Provincial JEMB(S) Election Office, at the time of their candidate application. The
candidate’s voter registration card will be scanned.
- A completed Candidate Application Form in Dari or Pashto.
- A list of signatures with voter registration numbers in support of the applicant’s candidacy.
Signatures must be obtained from residents of the constituency in which the applicant wishes to
contest (at least 300 legitimate signatures for Wolesi Jirga and at least 200 for Provincial Council
- A deposit, which will be returned if the candidate is elected or receives more than two percent of
the votes cast for the given constituency (10,000 Afghanis for Wolesi Jirga and 4,000 Afghanis for
Provincial Council elections).
During the application process an applicant must:
- Sign a Declaration that confirms the applicant: